This article is specifically for those who are very concerned about the volume of chemicals our bodies are exposed to from all the makeup products we apply daily and for those ambitious few that have dreams of starting their makeup lines someday, where better to start than home!. Not to worry, there is an endless list of healthy, inexpensive items available in your environments that you can whip-up to produce your very own collection of makeup products that are not just safe but long-lasting, easy to clean off and highly beneficial for skincare.
So here is a list of 3 Homemade Organic Recipes for our Makeup artists from loose powders to lipsticks.
Cocoa Powder for Foundation
Cocoa plant has been around for a very long time and is renowned for its diverse uses and benefits especially in cosmetology. As an ingredient for foundation and lipsticks, cocoa powder is used to achieve brown hues when mixed with certain essential oils and a variety of ingredients.
ThankYourBody.com provides you with this easy to do recipe for a homemade foundation.
For the base:
- Arrowroot Powder – is obtained from the rootstock of several tropical plants such as cassava (this can be substituted for corn flour which is easier to find in our markets).
- Cocoa Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Jojoba, Olive or Almond Oil
- Start with a base of arrowroot powder (1tsp. for dark skin and 1tbs. for light skin).
- Slowly add in one or combination of the cocoa powder, cinnamon or nutmeg until you reach your desired tone.
- If you want more compact foundation, add some jojoba/olive/almond oil to the mixture and press down into a compact. (Start with 5 drops and keep adding until it reaches its desired texture).
- Use a brush to apply this homemade foundation. Make sure to tap off excess before swiping face.
Note: You can darken your foundation colour by adding cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is also an essential ingredient for making organic lipsticks and powders.
Coconut Oil for Makeup Wipes
Another amazing makeup up related product is wipes. Quick fact for those of you who do not know; facial wipes are also imbued with chemicals. So here is a well tested step by step guide to making facial wipes you can be proud of.
- 2 cups of warm water
- Handkerchiefs or Paper towels
- 1-2 tbs. spoons of coconut oil
- ½ cap of a your facial wash
- 12 drops of Frankincense
- 12 drops of Tea Tree Oil (this can be substituted with Aloe Vera Juice)
- 12 drops of Lavender oils
Soak handkerchiefs/paper towel in warm water
- Mix other ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Add mixture to the soaked handkerchiefs and cover for 10minutes (make sure
- container is airtight)
- Turn upside down for a minute
- Take the lid off and store in a clean dry place
- Shea Butter for Eye shadow
This is a very fun exercise in colour mixing and experimenting with different ingredients.
Below is a recipe from culturesforhealth.com:
- 2 Tbsp. beeswax granules
- 2 Tbsp. shea butter
- 1 tsp. jojoba oil, or other carrier oil of choice
- 1/2 Tbsp. glycerin
- 1 tsp. vitamin E oil
- 3 Tbsp. of your choice of pigment powders
- Decide on a color combination, mix together the full 3 tablespoons of pigment on wax paper and set aside.
- In a double boiler, combine beeswax and shea butter and heat slowly.
- Once melted, remove from heat, add jojoba oil, glycerin and vitamin E oil and stir.
- Pour pigment powder(s) from wax paper into cream mixture and stir well until fully combined and smooth.
- Scoop into desired airtight container to let cool and set for 24 hours.
We hope this inspires a lot of our artists and readers to explore the diverse world or makeup artistry.
Organic Makeup Brands for Enthusiasts
In addition, here is a list of 8 organic makeup brands that might interest organic product
1. Sephora’s Organic Line
2. Physicians Formula
4. Dr Hauschka
5. Josie Maran
6. Vapour Organic Beauty
7. RMS Beauty
8. Alima Pure
Have new creative works to share with the community? Then create a new project on 54artistry.com